Any operation is a serious medical procedure that should be approached with thorough research and evaluation. The doctors at Paragon Surgical Specialists want you to understand the surgical options being presented to you and encourage you to ask questions before deciding if the procedure is the right choice for you.
Don’t be afraid to ask the following questions. You’re not doubting the doctor, you are being an advocate for yourself.
- Why do I need this operation?
- Can you tell me about your experience with this particular operation?
- Are there other treatment options I should consider before having surgery?
- Can you explain the benefits, risks and possible complications of this surgery?
- Are the benefits, risks and complications different for me because of my medical history or current medications?
- What type of anesthesia will be used?
- What are steps to take before the surgery?
- Are there any pre-operative tests or procedures to complete?
- What, if any, special preparation is required in the days prior to the operation?
- What should I do with regard to medications I am currently taking?
- What is the recovery period like after the surgery?
- Is there a specific routine I should follow with regard to rest, movement, change in diet, etc.?
- What medications, if any, will I be taking? Can I return to using my regular medicines?
- Should I arrange for assistance at home during my recovery?
- When can I begin returning to my normal routine?
- What is the cost of the operation and how much is covered by insurance?
Write down the answers to these questions when discussing them. Bring a family member or friend to your appointment who can be another set of ears to hear the options and details discussed.